It was still dark when I went to my porch swing. For over a decade I've been compelled to greet the dawn there no matter how cold it is. Dense clouds covered the sky until a tiny ribbon of light appeared along the horizon. As I watched it slowly expanding, praise filled my heart, and I heard Him whisper, "Keep your eyes on the Light."
It seems everyone I know is going through something significant. Trials crowd in at every turn, challenges that take us to the edge of our strength. On the news, we hear one report after another that demands our immediate attention. Which crisis should go first?
God says, "Look for the light."
Looking for the light indicates to me that there may be times when it won't be easily seen. We may have to hunt for it. What is true? What is honest and just? What is lovely, or of a good report? If there is any praise ANYWHERE think on these things. (Phillippians 4:8)
God is on the move. People are coming to the Lord all over the world; you won't hear that on the news. The church is waking up to the urgency of the hour; that's not on the news, either. God IS moving. He knows every detail, every stretch of strength, every burden, and challenge. And He wants to remind His people: "Always look for the light."
The band of light across the horizon slowly narrowed to a ribbon again, and I watched it disappear. The day might be overcast, but the Son is still shining above it all.
How do we look for God's light?
- "Your Word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path" (Psalm 119:105).
Stay in the Word.
- Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life" (John 8:12).
- "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it" (John 1:5).
Walk in faith.
- "God is light; in Him, there is no darkness at all...if we claim to have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth" (1John 5-9).
- "The unfolding of your words gives light..." (Psalm 119:130
Stay in the Word.
- "The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp" (Revelation 21:23).
Keep eternity in your heart.
We don't need to fear when we walk with Jesus.
Friends, look to the light. Love, Marji